[quake3] new osx ppc binary

Daniel Lord daniellord at mac.com
Thu Jun 1 13:08:52 EDT 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 8:43, Tony J. White wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 03:30:14AM -0700, Daniel Lord wrote:
>> I also would like to know why Jay didn't make a universal binary--
>> perhaps SDL
>> doesn't make on yet, but one can patch two binaries together with
>> 'lipo'.
>
> If anyone has been able to cross-compile ioquake3 to x86 on a ppc
> Mac please
> share details.  It would be nice to have a cross-make-mingw.sh
> equiv script
> for doing this, but it doesn't appear to be as trivial.
>
> OS X 10.4 has the cross compiler for i686, but it would also
> require you to
> build a universal libSDL dylib (is that even possible) or link each
> portion
> of the binary statically to libSDL.a.
>
> Also has the OpenAL problem on x86 Macs been worked out?  If not,
> the binaries
> would also have to be statically linked to OpenAL.  This would also
> be good
> for making the binary compatible with OSX 10.3 for the ppc arch.
> Although
> it would probably be a pretty huge binary :)

As a last resort, one could cobble together two separate Quake 3
binaries with lipo, but, as you said, it would be a double-sized
application.
Apple has done a brilliant job with their architecture transition for
general purpose, relatively self-contained applications, but its
Achille's Heel is an application that relies on a lot of dylibs. I
don't fault Apple for taking what I see as the main road in this
transition so they support their commercial application user base--I
would have done the same. But it still sucks for this kind of
project. Building and downloading platform-dependent application
binaries is going to have to be the road we take. Of course that
means maintaining two installers as well as binaries components. It
won't last long, I think PPCs will be deprecated within two years
given what I am seeing in accelerated development and porting for
i686 Macs. Java 6 is in beta on OS X, Parallels VM in RC2, and more.
Once the smoke clears and the transition is complete with a full line
of Intel desktops in the market, the move will be recognized for the
stroke of strategic brilliance it is. And this from someone with a
first-gen G5 Dual 1.8Ghz besides my Macbook Pro. My dual core Macbook
Pro is faster (Pystones, linpack, etc.) except for graphics but that
is only because I upgraded the video card to an ATI  X800 XL to run
Aperture ;-(.

Daniel

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which
differ from the prejudices of their social environment.  Most people
are not even capable of forming such opinions."
- Einstein