[quake3] Re: md4 skeletal model format

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Thu Jan 26 19:36:50 EST 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 21:54, Tim Stowell wrote:
> Thanks, that makes sense. Anyone know of any resources about actually
> implementing an md4 model with the code?

My code patch adds MD4 support for the Raven Software's MD4 models used in
EliteForce and some other games. They're consistently labeled with "MDR"
instead of "MD4" in icculus.org's codebase and can be enabled if one changes
the define RAVENMD4 (in qfiles.h)

The remnants of id's original model support have _not_ been touched.

Raven has finished the MD4 format a long time ago. There are also some tools
out there to actually edit md4 files, also community made tools like a
Milkshape Plugin from theSnerd. I only reimplemented the model format for the
icculus quake3 engine based on already released and GPL'ed code, because I
needed it in one of my projects and found it may be useful to other people.
You will find much info on this page:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~thesynapse/skinning.php

Apparently, creating new animations is more complex than I originally thought,
but some animation source files and a program to compile them have been
provided.

--
Thilo Schulz