[quake3] Re: [lists] [quake3] Binaries!!!11111

Sketch sketch at openverse.com
Thu Jan 26 12:13:59 EST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, vincent at cojot.name wrote:

> In ioq2, I have the Solaris pkg templates integrated into the source so that
> people can easily rebuild the Solaris packages if they want to. Also, I
> suppose that whatever is debianized for ioq3 will find its way into their
> mirrors but for Solaris, the 'ioq3' source is most likely the only single
> place where I can 'publish' the pkg templates which I will be developping. Or
> would you just want me to publish this stuff along with the installers?

I think this is a good thing for users when it's actively maintained.
It's very handy to be able to download the source to something that is not
in debian proper (pick your distro), but has a debian dir so that you can
build your own packages.  When it's something that someone contribued 12
versions ago and it hasn't been updated to go with changes in the app,
it's not so great.  Same goes for RPM .spec files.

> One more thing about packaging stuff: Maybe we could ask iD to re-distribute
> the demo data files? About two or three years ago, I asked iD for permission
> to package and re-distribute the q2 demo data files (with due credit and
> unmodified) so that people who download ioq2 for Solaris would actually have
> something to play with even if they didn't have the full game. I got their
> permission and therefore the full ioq2 for Solaris is made of two pkgs, one
> of them being the demo data files..

Wouldn't be a bad idea, though from my (IANAL) reading of the Q3A EULA
included with the demo and point releases, there's nothing to stop people
from doing that now.  I already am.  ;)

--
Sketch