[quake3] MP3 decoder and a few bugs fixed

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Tue Feb 28 12:14:09 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 17:04, Tim Stowell wrote:
> I may have used the wrong term, but I was thinking of the ability to blend
> one animation into another, i.e. blend from running animation to jumping in
> a smooth transition dynmaically as a lot of games can do. Maybe this is
> already handled in the engine, but I would appreciate any input.

Yes, you have to take care of the "transitions", but the way this is being
done has not been changed, as far as I can tell looking at the EF source
code. The engine does some basic lerping between animation frames. It only
needs to be told which frame to lerp from.

I suggest you take a look at renderer/tr_animation.c (MD4 format),
renderer/tr_surface.c (the lerping functions for MD3 format) and
cgame/cg_players.c to see what is basically being done :)
The engine only understands a few variables you can use to control animation:
The current frame (frame), oldorigin, oldframe (previous played frame) and
backlerp, the latter being used to indicate how far we've gone into animating
from the old to the new frame and uses that to do a linear interpolation from
the old bone position (or vertex coordinates in the MD3 format) to the new
one.

--
Thilo Schulz