OpenAL Sound Origin Issue

Jayschwa jayschwa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:52:52 EST 2006

Hello, I'm new.

I've been playing with ioq3 a bit and love the addition of OpenAL sound,
though there is a quirk with it. I'm using a 5.1 speaker setup, and things
that are directly in front of me (projectile hits, bouncing grenades, etc)
come out of the center speaker strongly, as they should. The exception
seems to be sounds originating from my player. Things like weapon fire and
jumping come out a lot more faintly, mainly through the left and right
channels. This effect is a little disconcerting, as I can hear the bullets
hitting the wall across the map more clearly than the machinegun firing
right in front of my face.

I'm going to hazard a guess that the precise source of these sounds is
below the "ears" of the player, mainly because looking down and firing
makes the sound come through nice and strong in the center, but looking up
and firing makes the sound come out mainly from the rear speakers. I was
briefly looking around in the code to see if I could find anything, but
I'm not familiar with the Quake 3 source, and I'm also an inexperienced
programmer in general. Does anyone have some insight into this?

~ Josh