[quake3] Some Mac usability issues

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Tue Feb 7 03:01:58 EST 2006

> a) mouse speed is significantly increased relative to the id version.  I
> have to do a /sensitivity from the console, reducing it by 5 or 8
> notches to make it feel like it should.  Why is this; anyone else find this?

First, we're not on the Mac codepath any more, we're using SDL, which
handles the input, and was modelled on the Linux/X11 code...I remember
there being some discussion about the mouse sensitivity in
there...anyone remember the details?

> b) there are various graphical glitches, including the orbs around
> health powerups flickering in and out of view at random (though the
> inner "+" part persists), as well as regions of the Bones model
> disappearing as well.  Does anyone else see this?

It's a PowerPC issue, not a Mac one...it doesn't happen on Intel Macs,
but it does on PowerPC Linux. We really need to figure out what's
happening there. If you want to tackle something, this would be really
appreciated!

> c) task switching while in fullscreen mode (command-tab) does not work
> at all; Q3 is forced to remain in the foreground.

Not intentional, but probably a casualty of tossing the Mac-specific
code. code/unix/glimp_sdl.c can probably catch that key combination and
change to windowed mode, but I'd be inclined to avoid that...some
jackass will have Command set up to strafe and tab set up to change
weapons.  :)

--ryan.