CreateWindowEx() fails in win_glimp.c: GLW_CreateWindow() using MSVC 8

James Lacey jamlacey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 22:04:26 EST 2006

This is pretty crazy. I ran into this working on my Win64 x86_64 patch. In
GLW_CreateWindow(), the following call fails:

g_wv.hWnd = CreateWindowEx(exstyle, WINDOW_CLASS_NAME, WINDOW_CLASS_NAME,
stylebits, x, y, w, h, NULL, NULL, g_wv.hInstance, NULL);

But, if I insert a call to GetLastError() immediately afterwards, I get a
return value of 0 (i.e. no error). I have tried changing the window class
name in the RegisterClass() and CreateWindowEx() calls, changing the style
flags, etc. Regardless of what I have tried, the call fails. I have checked
the various WNDPROC functions to make sure that there is a call to
DefWindowProc(). I am really perplexed as the console CreateWindow() call
works fine. The call fails in both the 32-bit and 64-bit builds and this was
not a function I changed for my port.

I am just curious if anyone has run into something like this before or knows
of something else to try.

James