[quake3] MD4 support in ioq3 as a patch?

Thilo Schulz arny at ats.s.bawue.de
Sat Dec 16 08:05:06 EST 2006

On Saturday 16 December 2006 02:15, monk at rq3.com wrote:
> Hi y'all.  It was suggested that someone on this mailing list a while back
> was interested in implementing MD4 support in ioq3.  Now that ioq3's got a
> patch system set up, it would be nice to offer an optional patch for MD4
> support.
>
> Is anyone interested in this anymore?

There already *is* working MD4 support and it has been in ioq3 for ages.
The md4 support that is included features full support for MD4 models from
Star Trek Voyager - Elite Force. Please check the file
http://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk/md4-readme.txt?rev=729&view=markup for
more information.

> I do admit that part of my motivation is to use MD4 support in an existing
> Q3 project/mod, but I'd rather see something that can be easily integrated
> in ioq3 for everyone to use.  Most of the artists I've talked to have
> ragged on Q3 and MD3 for lack of skeletal animation support.  Since
> everyone and their mother seems to be using ioq3 as the basis for turning
> Q3 mods into standalone projects, it seems only logical that any type of
> skeletal animation support be provided to work seamlessly with ioq3 as a
> patch.

There should be only one system that most people will agree on. And that is
the system where best modelling and animation support exists for.

> If anyone is interested, I will provide what help I can, copies of my
> correspondence with Gongo, the latest code I have access to, someone able
> to create HL art assets to test the MD4 importer, etc.

Sorry to say it, but at the moment I am not particularly interested. If - and
only if - someone came up to work on this and make Gongo's or anyone else's
model format work like a charm on ioq3 I'd be willing to take my EliteForce
stuff out and have ioquake3 go with that one instead. But atm, as far as I
can tell Gongo's modelling format suffers from the same problem as
EliteForce's does: lack of application support to create animations. Keep in
mind, that with EliteForce there already are loads of models that could
potentially be used.

--
Thilo Schulz