Release (was Re: In-Game HTTP/FTP Downloads)

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Thu Aug 31 11:33:50 EDT 2006

Thilo Schulz wrote:
> IMHO, a release can happen the way it is right now if the mac port does not
> have too many problems.
> Zakk, I know that you'd like to have the windows part use SDL.

We definitely shouldn't delay until Windows SDL. The way I'm approaching
this is to first implement a more generic SDL "port". The way it is now
it really the Unix port with SDL being used on the back of it. This is
fine for Linux and Mac but this can't be used for Windows without
buttloads of horrible ifdeffery. SDL support could be added to the
existing win32 port, but this is largely pointless since it's
effectively /expanding/ the number of ports rather than cutting them
down, only to be able to say "our Windows port uses SDL".

So yes, generic SDL port first, then Windows SDL port using this
framework. I suspect both of these will be controversial, so delaying
release for these is probably unwise.