How does Quake 3 handle collisions when the actor collision area changes?

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Sun Aug 13 18:54:38 EDT 2006

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 23:33:19 +0100 Asfand wrote:
> How does Quake 3 handle collisions, when the model (and hence
> collision area) changes frames, or directions?  E.g. a polygon is
> right up against a wall, and it's not colliding with it.  The actor
> changes direction, e.g. by turning away from the wall.  We assume this
> is the player's character.

Q3 uses AABB (Axially Aligned Bounding Box) collision detection, which never changes state other than translation. As such the problem you mention does not exist. In general, games engines use simple collision for player physics and only use per poly collision for hit detection, or rigid body dynamic simulations.