Sound issues with DMIX

Robert Lundmark robust at gentoo.se
Sun Apr 23 09:32:43 EDT 2006

The problem is in tremulous, but I expect that it's not tremulous
specific. I had the same kind of problems when I tried the icculus q3
source. I use alsa 1.0.11 that enables dmix by default. If I use sdl
output in tremulous the sound is delayed, but switching to openal solves
this temporarily. The problems starts again if I try using another
program that uses sound (e.g a music player), then the sound get's
delayed again.

And it's even worse if I disable dmix, then tremulous stalls and the
sound goes into infinite loop.