OpenAL

BlackAura badcdev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 03:32:23 EDT 2005

I've been working on an OpenAL sound system for Quake 3, and I'm at the stage
where everything appears to work correctly.

I have a preliminary patch available for testing (Linux only) from here:

http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/files/BlackAura/q3_openal_icculus.diff

It contains an OpenAL sound system which entirely replaces the existing sound
system. It also adds support for Ogg Vorbis music and sound effects in both
the OpenAL and original sound systems, using a separate sound decoder system.

It should be portable to other systems, except for the part that loads the
OpenAL library at runtime (unix/linux_qal.c). That can be disabled by
defining OPENAL_STATIC, and including the appropriate libraries.