[quake3] build system

Jamie Wilkinson jaq at spacepants.org
Mon Sep 5 04:21:32 EDT 2005

This one time, at band camp, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
>Jamie Wilkinson wrote:
>> [make -> cons...]
>> What do you guys think, does that sound like a worthwhile goal for icculus?
>
>As someone who also does packaging work for a distribution I can
>only say that I hate custom build scripts. That's usually even worse
>than custom Makefiles. I'd rather go for automake.

Well, my experience with quakeforge's quake2 and automake was everything but
fun.  Sure, it provides some very useful make targets for distributions, but
developing with it is like choking on a bucket of dicks.

I'm convinced that quake3 was released using cons, the Makefiles are merely
leftovers.  I suppose I should contact ttimo to confirm this, but the fact
that the makefiles didn't work out of the box and cons did is in my mind
pretty heavy evidence of the One True Build System here.

I don't think the packaging would be much of an issue.  It's pretty easy to
tweak SCons to do the right thing, so I expect making the install targets in
the Conscripts would be easy too. There's a significant amount of work
already done in the SCons community for doing automake-like distribution
targets (prefixed install, tarballs, etc).