[quake3] quake3 on Solaris x86

darkshark atnight darksharkster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 17:59:06 EST 2005

On 10/31/05, vincent at cojot.name <vincent at cojot.name> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2005, darkshark atnight wrote:
>
> >  Are you sparc based though ?  I can do either, but me laptop is running
> > solaris so I'm trying for an x86 port.  I'd like to help in the sparc
> > bits too though.  Have access to some sparc U80's.
>
> I'm mostly sparc based but I am trying to keep my bits arch-neutral. If
> you have a working NVidia + Solaris setup, that's interesting as you will
> be able to test the bits I won't (I don't have a PC with NVidia graphics
> running Solaris at this time, they all run Linux)

   SolarisExpress with the nVidia drivers (ya, Solaris drivers from
nvidia :) would
   be an option for you on any of those linux PCs :)

> >  You mean the vm_86.c ?  It compiles and links.
> >  I have some changes to the sources - though its mainly adding __sun__ to
> >  ifdef's  I'm trying not to change the actual code in most places.
>
> Ok, check the recent checkouts, you shouldn't need to add any new #ifdef..
> Tell me if I broke something.. I'm having a lot of trouble with LCC on
> sparc at this time so if it works fine on i386, that's a good sign.
> Oh and btw, I thought it was recommended by SUN to use "__sun", not "__sun__".

   Yup, use __sun instead of __sun__.  I was being rather hacky.

   Got the newer rev, 202, had to change _very_ little this time which is nice.
   Though somehow managed to wipe the code base.. was trying a diff per file and
    overwrote every src file..  Argh...

qgl.h:
#if defined(MACOS_X) || defined(__sun)

#if defined(MACOS_X) || ( defined(__sun) && defined(__sparc) )

  OpenGL on Solaris x86 will be either Mesa based or nVidia based.
  Solaris will use the Xorg server on x86.

gcc-solaris.c (i.e. linux.c plus little changes. s/__linux/__sun/)

snapvectora.s:
C(Sys_SnapVector_cw):
C(Sys_SnapVectorCW):

  Theres one or two other little changes, which I'll send on once I
get things going again.
  Nothing major.

  I had no problems getting lcc compiled, just the linux.c copy to
gcc-solaris.c.  The
  q3lcc then compiled up the various .qvm files no problem.  I should
be able to try
  compiling on sparc this week.

  Running:
SunOSquake3 + set r_allowSoftwareGL 1

  I now get a window (plain black).  And then its stuck in a loop in
Sys_ConsoleInput()
  reading 1 char from stdin all the time.

> >> For the record, the solaris_qgl.c and solaris_glimp.c from ioq2 originally
> >> came from the SUN Quake2 porting team and I kept trying to adapt/maintain
> >> them in ioq2.
> >
> >  Ya, read the code comments :)  I'm going to ping some Sun opengl
> > people about this sometime this week.
>
> That'd be great to have them on-board.. I have both an sb2k+XVR-1000 and
> an sb150+XVR-600 but any other coder/debugger/tester will be welcomed.. :)

  I've nothing so fancy P-) an U80 is about it.  But may be able to
test on sb* though.

> Regards,

  Thanking you :)

Sean.