[quake3] Re: Questions about compile options (ioq3 on Solaris).

vincent at cojot.name vincent at cojot.name
Fri Oct 28 11:01:59 EDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Tim Angus wrote:

> I think ankon was/is working on a Solaris port. I'm not sure what stage
> he got to, but perhaps you two should talk and avoid duplication of
> effort :).

Got an e-mail address for him? I hadn't seen anything regarding a Solaris
port on the list...

> HAVE_VM_NATIVE specifies that the platform is capable of using native
> libs.
> HAVE_VM_COMPILED specifies that the platform has a bytecode JIT
> compiler.
> There is no define HAVE_VM_INTERPRETED since in theory the interpreter
> should work everywhere (though it is the slowest option).

Ok, thanks for the information.

> As an aside, I've been thinking for a while that HAVE_VM_* should really
> live in a header rather than defined by the build system. The main
> reason for this is that currently only the linux and mingw builds have
> these defined since nobody has added the relevant bits to the build
> systems on OS X and VC. In other words these builds can ONLY use
> interpreted bytecode at the moment. Obviously it's trivial to fix the
> build systems, but from a maintenance point of view it makes more sense
> to save us the bother (now and in future) and put the defines in a
> header. Also, with the exception of x86_64 for now, I don't really see
> the HAVE_VM_* defines as being something that should be end user
> optional, especially since the runtime behaviour can be chosen using the
> vm_* cvars. Opinions?

Good idea..

--
Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost