quake3 MacOS hackery, continued...

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Mon Nov 28 19:38:54 EST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:48:43 -0800 Avelino wrote:
> I just ran a quick benchmark with the 1.32 id release on my Dual 2.5
> with an X800.  With everything maximized and at 1024x768 I received
> these scores.
>
> r_smp 0 = 228
>
> r_smp 1 = 385
>
> That seems like a significant boost to me.  I'm pretty sure a number
> of Mac users would be very disappointed in Icculus Q3 if it didn't
> support SMP.

It IS a significant boost, but relatively meaningless one. It seems like
an enourmous waste of effort to implement for what is essentially zero
real world gain.

I'm actually pretty surprised there is such a large difference. On x86
at least, Q3 is a long way off CPU bound and as such parallelising it
doesn't really result in a much of a gain. I guess this goes to show
that the OS X build is somewhat less efficient CPU wise. It will be
interesting to see how OS X/x86 performs.