quake3 MacOS hackery, continued...

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Sat Nov 26 13:13:14 EST 2005

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 02:56:07 -0500 Ryan wrote:
> - I have (re)added the SDL and OpenAL headers to Subversion. I don't
> care what the Linux users say, this is non-negotiable. You can choose
> to use the system versions if you want for Linux, but on Windows and
> MacOS, these need to be included so we don't have to hunt down the
> external dependency.

I don't agree with this. I don't understand the thinking behind it. I
seriously doubt there are proportionately that many Windows or OS X
users who actually build ioq3, and those that do surely have enough
understanding to locate the required headers. Having system headers in
the q3 source adds a maintenance headache we don't need.

As it stands the Windows (MinGW) build is now broken as the AL headers
in SVN are too old. This is probably also the reason for:

> - OpenAL dynamic loading doesn't compile. Should make default and let
> people choose a specific openal.dylib via a cvar.

> As such, there will also be Mac and Windows
> precompiled versions of the libraries added, too.

Libraries are something to be considered when compiling binaries for
distribution. It makes no sense at all to have them in /source/ control.