[quake3] quake3-1.33-svn20051104-5

Marc Leeman marc.leeman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 08:03:50 EST 2005

> > q3a is used in the package as a startup instead of quake3 in order to
> > avoid conflicts with non packaged installations (1.32) .
>
> I chose ioquake3/ioq3ded, SVN uses those names now as well.

I can adjust this with a new sync with SVN in the next weeks. It would
also be nice that it's the same between distros.

> As Tim already pointed out it's still useful for the client to
> determine which pk3 files are needed. I've been thinking about
> whether we should allow loading of shared libs despite pure though
> as it's quite a speed penalty to use the vm interpreter:

I just changed the 'default' setting to 0 instead of 1. When running a
server, an admin would have a nicely tweaked cfg file where he enables a
pure server.

The disabling of the default pure server was mainly for users that just
want an ad-hoc game. I was under the impression that next to the pk3
file checks, the version number was also an issue; probably because in
the past, when ID released a new point release some pk3 files were also
changed. We used to play quake3 on a LAN every now and then and syncing
the clients was always a bit of a pain.

In any case, a user bent on cheating will have little difficulty in
achieving this by changing the source (and us distro packagers make it
even easier for them :( )

$ vim src/file.c
$ fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
$ dpkg -i ../quake3-xxxxxx.deb

--
  greetz, marc
Have we sent the 'don't shoot us we're pathetic' transmission yet?