quake3-1.33-svn20051104-5

Tim Angus tim at ngus.net
Fri Dec 30 16:17:02 EST 2005

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:05:35 +0100 Marc wrote:
> I think that 'pure server' as default serves little purpose now, it
> mainly keeps out 1.32 users AFAIK.

Pure server should not prevent 1.32 clients from playing. Pure server's
primary purpose is to validate whether or not a client has tampered
with their local files. I assume that you think that given the full
source being released, this is now trivial to circumvent -- and you'd
be right. However, pure server serves a secondary purpose in that it
ensures clients have the /correct/ local files. This is most useful for
mods.