[quake3] SDL_loadso.h in less than recent SDL?

Ludwig Nussel ludwig.nussel at suse.de
Fri Dec 2 05:24:37 EST 2005

On Friday 02 December 2005 11:03, vincent at cojot.name wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>
> >> That's on RHEL3 with RHEL's default SDL...
> >
> > SDL 1.2.5 was released a little more than 3 years ago...is there a
> > statute of limitations for avoiding newer features in a library?  :)

I suppose RHEL3 was released before SDL 1.2.5 just as SLES8 which
has 1.2.4. Those distros are maintained for 5+ years and you do want
to keep changes to the system to a minimum. So version upgrades of
arbitrary pieces will not happen.

> Well, that's the binary rpm built by RedHat and that came with the
> distro.. I usually avoid replacing parts of this distro but I guess I'll
> have to make an exception this time.. :)

Or we just use dlopen instead of that SDL function again. It's bad
that SDL adds new symbols without using symbol versioning. It will
make binaries crash at runtime on distros with older libs.

cu
Ludwig

--
 (o_   Ludwig Nussel
 //\   SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Development