FreeBSD quake-data

Ethan A Burns eaburns at pascal.unh.edu
Sat Jan 21 20:37:24 EST 2006

Hello,
        Okay, I installed quake2lnx from /usr/ports/games on FreeBSD.  This is,

apparently, the icculus src according to the website link in the pkg-descr.
It appears this port also installs the quake2-data port.  Now, I have three
baseq2 directories:

eaburns at bender ~$ find / -name baseq2 2>&1 | grep -v Perm
/home/eaburns/.quake2/baseq2
/usr/local/lib/quake2lnx/baseq2
/usr/local/share/quake2/baseq2

I guess my question is; which of these is the one that I am *suppose* to use.
It would appear that the game doesn't see the /usr/local/share/quake2/baseq2,
since there is shareware demo data in there and the game does not start because
it says its missing data (Error: Couldn't load pics/colormap.pcx).

Should one of these baseq2s be a sym link to the other?

        Thanks,
                        Ethan