[quake2] Quake2 crackling sound

Jay Dolan jasonthomasdolan at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 16 07:59:15 EDT 2006

--- Christian Brandt <brandtc at psi5.com> wrote:

> I use Ubuntu 0606 on a intel-810 System (chipset,
> sound, video, etcpp,
> all intel 8xx).
>
> All my games run very nice (OpenTTD, Gnome-Games,
> TyrQuake1) and have no
> problems with the sound, though I often have to kill
> the Sound-Daemon
> esd. Except Quake2.
>
> When playing Quake2 I have lots of soundproblems.
> With the
> Ubuntu/Quakeforge-Quake2 port I have heavily
> stuttering sound.  With the
> Icculus Port I had more success - the binaries have
> stable sound but
> very bad quality sound quality and don't display a
> target-cross. My own
> compilation has only the sound-problem:
>
> The sound of the sdlquake2 binary crackles a lot and
> has some sort of
> echo with crackling. All in all not very funny. The
> quake2 binary has no
> sound at all.
>
> Also doing something like echo "sdlquake2 0 0
> direct" >/dev/asound/...
> doesn't help.
>
> I am really not sure what to do next.

Hi,

Icculus has a slightly dated version of the Alsa sound
driver I've written for Quetoo.  You could try
building that by editing the Icculus Makefile.  Even
better, you could grab the latest snd_sdl.c and
snd_alsa.c from Quetoo and merge them to the Icculus
trunk.  Both recieved a bit of attention a few months
ago, and are in what I would consider very good shape
right now.

Quetoo's source can be browsed here:
http://jdolan.dyndns.org/trac/browser/quetoo

Hope this helps,