[quake2] quake2 fps problems, gamma, alsa and mouse

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Fri Oct 21 08:48:39 EDT 2005

Brendan Burns wrote:

>Hey,
>On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 13:09 +0200, Anders Storsveen wrote:
>

>>I'm having some weird problems, with quake2-qmax I have a stable fps
>>right under the cl_maxfps var, however in regular quake2 I got like
>>60-70 fps max! that's really weird, isn't the entire difference between
>>qmax and regular some textures?
>>

>No, there's a bunch of different OpenGL code between qmax and regular,
>its weird that regular is slower though, the only reason I can think of
>is because regular is using some mode that is software driven on your
>card, but that seems *really* unlikely since you have a relatively
>recent video card...

this is the biggest problem I have, would be very nice to get to the
bottom of it! anything I can do to check what happens? I have the newest
ati-drivers and a "more-than-good-enough" for quake2 card.

>>Also the mouse is really weird in glx-mode, it's some kind of negative
>>acceleration, when I move it real slow it goes the wrong way, until I
>>turn up the speed just a little, it comes to a stop and then goes the
>>right way. It's really problematic!
>>

>Is this is the latest CVS version?  There are some mouse bug fixes
>checked in...

ok, no releases to be out anytime soon? I'll try the cvs later.

>>and the last thing is that the gamma mode is different in sdl and glx, I
>>have noticed and posted about this before. I think it's the gamma method
>>it uses, glx uses desktop gamma/hw-gamma somehow, which is very nice and
>>crips. while SDL uses software-gamma/brightness, which washes out the
>>colors and is horrible!
>>

>I don't think there's too much that can be done about this, except to
>adjust the gamma through the game (look at the readme for directions)

What do you mean about that? this isn't a big issue though, but the
hwgamma solution is much prettier. It's easy to see, just change between
glx and sdl, you'll see the difference in color right away.