[quake2] difference between glx and sdl opengl implementation

Anders Storsveen wakko at generation.no
Tue Mar 29 08:12:34 EST 2005

I've been doing a little investigation and I have figured out that the glx
implementation uses some kind of hwgamma (the one I can set through
nvidia-settings), and sdl uses some sort of hack. The hwgamma version
changes instantly when chaning the slider in the video setting, and it
just changes the gamma (which results in a little more yellowish but still
crisp picture), the sdl implementation is some sort of hack like in
brightness so it washes out hte colors and contrasts. If you set an
insanly high brightness value in sdl you will have no texture at all, just
colors.

however I also did the same thing in windowed mode, and then both seemed
to use hwgamma, colors and texture of both sdl and glx were similiar. So
it seems that the SDL implementation has a problem getting the hwgamma
control in fullscreen. I've tried looking into the code, and I think I
found the code which handles it, but couldn't figure it out.

would be great with sdl with hwgamma, since I think glx looks best, but
has a broken mouse for me.

--
Anders Storsveen
The Next Generation