[quake2] Nice new Quake 2 Mod

David Mehrmann jammet at tigress.com
Thu Mar 10 18:09:10 EST 2005

M> "Sorry, this site is temporarily unavailable!"

Strange. Works  fine for  me, right  now. Anyway, here  is what  this is
about, copy and paste:

Overview  A modification  of Quake  2  that adds  realistic shadows  and
lighting  to the  game. Infinite  shadow volumes  are  rendered using  a
stencil buffer  technique. OpenGL Shading  Language vertex  and fragment
shaders are employed to perform  bumpmapping including terms for diffuse
lighting, specular highlights, light swamping and attenuation.

Motivation It  has been my  experience that coding these  various things
gets little  to no appreciation  from family and friends,  irrelevant of
the time,  effort and skill  (or lack of)  required to do  them. A small
animation of a green block man walking across the screen or a raytracing
of a  blue teapot just  doesn't seem to  impress. One of the  problems I
find is a lack of high quality free art resources, but then you wouldn't
expect high  quality art to be  free. One could be a  game engine coding
genius (which,  of course, I am  not), but without model  and level data
you don't have a game. To be a coder, modeller and level designer at the
same time is  a very big ask and unfortunately,  knocking up shoddy test
media won't do  justice to any game engine. Thankfully,  the nice people
at id Software have made the source code to their amazing DOOM and Quake
games (apart from  Quake 3 and DOOM 3) available  for free! You can thus
use their  source code  as a  'playground' for  trying out  new graphics
techniques, for example, and see  the results immediately by playing the
game  itself. This is  far more  interesting to  family and  friends who
will  gasp in  awe at  your amazing  skill (well,  actually, maybe  not,
but  nevermind  eh). Hence,  inspired  by Tenebrae,  a  truly  brilliant
modification of Quake, I took it upon myself to add realistic shadows to
the game by  using a stencil buffer technique (which  is well documented
in graphics  literature), and better  lighting by employing  GLSL vertex
and fragment shaders.