[quake2] Build help with Quake2 dedicated server on FreeBSD

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Wed Feb 16 16:17:27 EST 2005

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 20:58, m0gely wrote:
> > BSoD# pwd
> > /usr/ports/devel/sdl_ldbad
>
> Well wait a sec.  Niether do I.  This is just a dedicated server, so I
> don't need to compile in any graphics support.  Is there another way?

Heh.  Yep, here goes.  You will need to edit the Makefile a little - on my box
there are some bad build options.

Select only the option in Makefile for BUILD_DEDICATED=YES

Then, locate the build line:

ifeq ($(ARCH),i386)
RELEASE_CFLAGS=$(BASE_CFLAGS) -O2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -falign-loops=2 \
        -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2 -fno-strict-aliasing

and change it too:

ifeq ($(ARCH),i386)
RELEASE_CFLAGS=$(BASE_CFLAGS) -O2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -malign-loops=2 \
        -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -fno-strict-aliasing

The changes are falign-loops == malign... falign-jumps == malign... and
falign-functions == malign...

Then use:

> gmake build_release

For some reason it builds client and game too... but let it build (ignore GCC
warnings), and after you will have a nice new shiny q2ded in /releasei386
directory.

My box is FreeBSD 4.10-RELEASE so if you have no joy, I have a q2ded binary
now if you want it.

Nick

--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,