[quake2] Highly erratic mouse behavior

Asfand Yar Qazi email at asfandyar.cjb.net
Tue Feb 8 16:32:32 EST 2005

Tom Murphy wrote:
> Well I've switched the mouse from the PS/2 port (via USB->PS/2 adapter)
> to directly into the USB port and the same problem occurs.
>
> I've found if I try to aim and fire, it will lag slightly, and of
> course, reacting, I overcompensate and end up moving too far one way or
> the other. It's as if the mouse is lagging behind my movements.
>
> I tried m_filter 1 to see if that helped. It didn't.
> It doesn't seem to be the sdl binaries, because it does the exact same
> thing with just running 'quake 2'. (I have to run the sdl binaries just
> so I can have sound.. sound doesn't work otherwise.)
>
> I found that the IBM Scrollpoint mouse gives insane values to X when
> using the scroll wheel.
> (http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0410.3/0799.html), but I
> feel these two items are unrelated. The swap of left and right on the
> axis is a bit strange.. and having to set the m_yaw to a negative number
> shouldn't be normal, should it? I've also tried changing m_yaw #'s and
> it's still acting up.
>
> I'll try 0.15 and see if that works.
>
> Tom

Which version are you playing?  Also, try the version of quake 2
called 'quake2forge' (http://freshmeat.net/projects/quake2forge/).  I
don't like what they've done with their port (putting data files in
'<prefix>/share/games/quake2', binaries in '<share>/bin', video driver
libraries in <prefix>/lib/quake2, use of autoconf/automake etc.) but
you may have some luck with it.  Even if you don't, it'll rule out the
possibility that this port's game code is at fault, anyhow.