Highly erratic mouse behavior

Tom Murphy q2 at yggdrasil.ath.cx
Tue Feb 8 08:04:22 EST 2005

Hi all,

  I'm so happy to be able to play Quake 2 again, thanks for making this
available!

  I've been using the sdlquake2 binary and it looks really nice.
Unfortunately, my mouse doesn't seem too happy with it. It's very jerky
and hard to control. When I load up quake2, if I move the mouse to the
right, it moves left. If I move the mouse to the left, it moves right.
This is easily fixed by setting m_yaw -0.022 in the console, however,
the mouse movement is extremely jerky and hard to control. I find myself
unable to aim with it.

   Are there some things I can try with this?

   I'm using an IBM optical mouse (with a glowing blue middle button).
   Xorg-X11 v6.8.0-r4
   I am not using gpm.

   The mouse section of my xorg.conf looks like this:

   Section "InputDevice"

       Identifier  "Mouse1"
       Driver      "mouse"
       Option "CorePointer"
       Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
       Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
       Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

   EndSection

   The mouse is a USB mouse, but it is plugged in to my PS/2 port (it
has one of those USB -> PS/2 converter things on it. Perhaps I should
try direct USB mouse?)

   Thanks!

   Tom