[quake2] Re: quake3 source

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Sat Aug 20 15:44:17 EDT 2005

On Saturday 20 August 2005 18:47, tom fogal wrote:
>  <20050820133320.GE8474 at spacepants.org>Jamie Wilkinson writes:
> > This one time, at band camp, qudos wrote:
> > >Compiles fine in linux through Makefile, not by cons, anyway there are
> >
> > The cons error is because the whole source tree uses DOS line endings.
>
> I spent bit of time in #icculus on freenode, and TTimo popped in.  Then
> I started bitching about build systems and offended him, not realizing
> he was the one to put together the release :O ... oops.
>
> Anyway he noted that the -a option will autoconvert line endings when
> extracting from a zip.
>
> Also its been noted many times now that gcc3 seems to work, but you
> need to manually edit a few lines to remove the -Werror CFLAG.

Finally!  I can get a clean build :-)

Using gcc version 3.4.4

unzip -a quake3-1.32b-source.zip

cd quake3-1.32b/code/

Edit top level Contruct file to remove -Werror (around line 235)

Then

perl unix/cons

A few warnings, but all get built OK.

Now, next problem.  How do you specify using 'cons' the equivalent of 'make
build_release', 'make clean' etc?  I just had a quick look, but it all seems
rather a lot of work to me just to build a C project - why not just use a
makefile?

Nick

--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,