[quake2] Error during start

Jeremy Brenner jeremy at theedge.net
Tue Aug 16 13:01:28 EDT 2005

>From http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Quake-HOWTO-5.html

Quake II fails with the message LoadLibrary("ref_XXX.so") failed: No
such file or directory
      * /etc/quake2.conf doesn't have the correct path to your Quake II
        directory in it. This file should contain one line that is the
        directory Quake II lives in.
      * If /etc/quake2.conf does contain the correct path, try removing
        the file and re-creating it by hand. Some versions of Quake II
        for Linux included an incorrectly formatted quake2.conf file.
      * Do you have SVGAlib installed? Check /lib, /usr/lib
        and /usr/local/lib for a file called libvga.so.1.X.X, where the
        X's are some numbers. If nothing turns up, you need to get and
        install SVGAlib to run Quake II outside of X.
      * If the renderer in question is ref_gl.so, Mesa may not be
        properly installed. Did you copy libMesaGL.so.2.6 to a library
        directory like the installation instruactions told you to?
      * If the renderer in question is ref_gl.so, did you install the
        glide libraries?

--
"Two of the most famous products of Berkeley are LSD and Unix. I don't think that this is a coincidence."
    (Anonymous quote from The UNIX-HATERS Handbook.)