[quake2] RC 3

Brendan Burns brendanburns at comcast.net
Sat Sep 25 10:17:10 EDT 2004

Thanks for you input.  I think the way of specifying options to GCC 
changed somewhere in the versions.  I'll see if I can figure out a good 
way to switch as appropriate.

I'll fix the directions in the README and add a reference to the 


On Sep 25, 2004, at 2:52 AM, arny at taiga.com wrote:

> Hello,
>> http://www.icculus.org/quake2/files/quake2-r0.16.tar.gz
>> Arny, this one should hopefully work for you...
>> --brendan
> OK removing them 3 -f* options from the Makefile it compiles
> and works fine for me.
> I used the 'shareware' data as described in the README.  Tried
> the default Makefile first and both software X11 and hardware
> glx drivers worked fine (I used 800x600 mode) with quake2 and
> sdlquake2
> I also tryed setting the option to enable svgalib in the Makefile
> and recompiled.  Svgalib software driver worked fine, and I tried
> the X11 and glx drivers and they hadn't broken either.  (I'm all
> in favour of svgalib being enabled by default if you don't think
> it'll create any issues, although I suppose most novice users
> use X11 so the automatic use of svgalib if DISPLAY is missing
> might cause them issues if svgalib doesnt like their video.)
> I'm only really trying to test that it compiles and runs, rather
> than performance or whether all parts of the game work (I'm not
> into games, and anything more advanced than doom on a 486 tends
> to make me motionsick ;-) ).  However I think I noticed the mouse
> issue people have mentioned, and also the sound seems to have
> issues compared to my quake2-0.15 'BUILD_QMAX=YES' install.  This
> may just be because I've recently changed my soundcard from a decent
> ES1371 card to a possibly dubious onboard VIA82CXXX AC97 affair.
> However the nature of the problem is that you say fire a gun,
> see the flash, but dont hear a bang rather than random problems
> affecting the sound generally.  Only does it some of the time,
> normally when theres a bit of action, not all the time.  I tried
> 'max-compatibility' and 'max-performance'.  It was similar to the
> problem with the mouse in that you moved the mouse and nothing
> happenned for a split second.  I'm only mentioning this in case
> it offers any clues to problems you're having, don't regard it
> as a concrete bug report. For a start I've not tried 'BUILD_QMAX=YES'.
> I was going to check it with both the shareware data and the game
> CD disk data.  Seems appropiate to see if you want to make changes
> and give me another tar ball though before I go test it with the
> game CD data.  Let me know.
> For the record, my system:
> Linux 2.4.26, gcc 2.95.3, slackware 8.1, XFree86 4.2.0,
> SDL 1.2.4, libglide3.so.3.10.0, svgalib 1.4.3
> AMD Athlon XP 2200+, 512MB ram, PCI 3dfx voodoo 4, VT8233 AC97 Audio
> I still say you need instructions on how to access the archive of
> this mailing list in the README ;-)
> Cheers,
> Arny

More information about the quake2 mailing list