[quake2] RC 3

arny at taiga.com arny at taiga.com
Sat Sep 25 00:48:30 EDT 2004

Hello,

> http://www.icculus.org/quake2/files/quake2-r0.16.tar.gz
>
> Arny, this one should hopefully work for you...
> --brendan

Story so far...

Might seem trivial but line 76 of the README should ideally read

3. cp Install/Data/baseq2/pak0.pak <installdir>/quake2sw/baseq2

and not

3. cp baseq2/pak0.pak to <installdir>/baseq2/pak0.pak

(of course everyone should be able to work that out, but it may
run down the patience of novices before they even start).

More seriously compilation fails with:

make[1]: Entering directory `/root/install/quake2/quake2-r0.16'
gcc -Wall -pipe -Dstricmp=strcasecmp -DJoystick -O2 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -falign-loops=2 -falign-jumps=2 -falign-functions=2 -fno-strict-aliasing -DLINUX_VERSION='"3.21+r0.16"' -o releasei386/client/cl_cin.o -c src/client/cl_cin.c
cc1: Invalid option `-falign-loops=2'
cc1: Invalid option `-falign-jumps=2'
cc1: Invalid option `-falign-functions=2'
make[1]: *** [releasei386/client/cl_cin.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/install/quake2/quake2-r0.16'
make: *** [build_release] Error 2

I.E. it looks like my compiler doesn't support those 3 options.

root at unix:~/install/quake2/quake2-r0.16# gcc --version
2.95.3
root at unix:~/install/quake2/quake2-r0.16# cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 8.1

Note that was using an uneditted Makefile from the tarball.

I may try removing those options and continuing, but I thought I'd
give you those 2 issues to be going on with.  I'm not sure whether
them options are unneeded optimisations or needed options to force
the compiler to do things in a way that the programmer assumes
(e.g. I've used -fvolatile in device drivers to safe guard against
bugs caused by the compiler assuming that value in memory wont
magically change (like they do with memory mapped hardware)), so
I thought I'd pass it back to you before continuing much.

As far as I can remember quake2-0.15 compiled for me on the same
system striaght off with no probs (just didn't work at run time).
Pressumably its better if users aren't forced to upgrade their
compilers to the very latest?

Cheers,

Arny