[quake2] Quake 0.16 rc2...

arny at taiga.com arny at taiga.com
Tue Sep 21 12:21:40 EDT 2004

Hello,

Once you guys have settled on a release, would you like me to
test it?  I.e. just untar the tar ball and then follow the
instructions included and check it compiles and runs on my
system OK.  I know that doesnt sound a lot but I think its
easy for developers to miss things that users need etc.

I dunno who was paying attention when I was whining but
software rendering doesnt work in quake2-r0.15 for me, possibly
because BUILD_QMAX was set to YES by default in the makefile
which it shouldn't have been without changing the README file
to warn people, although I never actually tested whether setting
BUILD_QMAX to NO and recompiling fixed the problem.

I notice theres a 3 question FAQ in the README file.  Can I
suggest the addition of:

Q: I can't even get Quake2 to work with software rendering or AAlib?
A: Some people have found Quake2 works with hardware rendering even
   though the basic software drivers don't work for them.  If hardware
   rendering works for other games on your system, try starting Quake2
   with "+set vid_ref glx" from X windows.