[quake2] Icculus Q2 (Gentoo build), mods won't work

Nick Warne nick at linicks.net
Thu Sep 2 13:34:16 EDT 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 00:00, Lee Webb wrote:
> Hi All,
> Many thanks for all the replies.
> Built the source without using portage (no gentoo build) and the mods
> worked correctly, so the there must be something wrong with the way
> portage does the build, I'll look more into this today instead of
> working.
> The only problem I now get is some SIGSEGV when running in anything over
> 640x480 full screen with nvidia's liGL.so. Only happens when trying to
> get the console or view the menus. When running 640x480 windowed
> everything is fine.
> Tracked it down to some calls to ld-linux.so.2, seems like either q2 or
> the nvidia driver is doing something stupid
> Will attach the stack trace when I get home

There is this from nVidia README file that comes with the driver:

"Q: There are problems running Quake2.

A: Quake2 requires some minor setup to get it going.  First, in the Quake2
   directory, the install creates a symlink called libGL.so that points
   at libMesaGL.so.  This symlink should be removed or renamed.  Then,
   to run Quake2 in OpenGL mode, you would type: 'quake2 +set vid_ref glx
   +set gl_driver libGL.so'.  Quake2 does not seem to support any kind of
   full-screen mode, but you can run your X server at whatever resolution
   Quake2 runs at to emulate full-screen mode."

Which is what I followed - then read the README from icculus quake2 builds to
see how to adapt that line further - all works great for me!

nVidia README:

"When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, Give a whistle..."