[quake2] Starting out questions

Asfand Yar Qazi email at asfandyar.cjb.net
Wed Oct 6 10:58:26 EDT 2004

Karen Pouelle wrote:
>  --- Asfand Yar Qazi <email at asfandyar.cjb.net> wrote:
>
>>What is the max resolution?
>>My mistake - its just some problem with the RLE options in the
>>file I saved, I think.  Ignore these two posts :-)
>

> I think the max resolution of a texture is 4096 x 4096, but on my video card
> it's limited to 2048 x 2048.  So far, the largest texture I've remade has
> been 1024 x 512, maybe one of them 1024 x 1024.
>
> Also, someone asked earlier what advantages were in the Icculus Q2 code over
> the Id binaries - there are some security updates and exploits (most notibly
> the rcon exploit) fixed in post-3.21 code. The most recent Id binaries are
> 3.20.  If you run a server on the Internet for more than a few days with just
> the Id binaries, it is very likely that your server will eventually be
> exploited in several different ways.

Maybe its GtkRadiant playing up then, because when I create a map
with it using nice big 256x256 24-bit textures, they are all
buggered up when loaded in game.  Ah well...

I was actually thinking of using the Q2 codebase for making a
fresh new game (not just a mod) - it was going to be a third
person jump-n-run RPG action adventure similar to Zelda.  But
I've decided that I'll just wait for the Quake 3 code release
instead and work with that.

--
http://www.it-is-truth.org/