[quake2] Build system idea

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Sun Oct 3 11:26:51 EDT 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:09:57PM +0100, Asfand Yar Qazi wrote:
> Could I suggest we use SCons?  Its build files are simply Python
> scripts that it loads in a special way... check out their docs.
>
> scons.sf.net
>
> Take note that id Software uses it for Doom 3 Linux :-)

I'm happy for id Software, but make (pmake, gmake) are probably the best
tools for a project like Quake2LNX.  We simply need to clean up the
build infrastructure a bit.  Pulling in additional dependency (such as
Python) is a thing to avoid, IMHO.

> I'd also suggest that instead of specifying the names of all
> files in the SConstruct file (yep, that's what they're called) we
> use 'find' (or the equivalent Python functionality) to
> automatically generate a list of files that need to be compiled.

This is also seems like a bogus thing to me.  We'd better know exactly
what files are we building upon.

./danfe