[quake2] quake2 3d

Alejandro Néstor Vargas anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar
Tue Jan 27 12:01:59 EST 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:15:38 -0500, Brendan Burns <brendanburns at attbi.com>
wrote:

> 	* quake2 +set vid_ref softx +set cl_stereo 1
> 	* You can also play around with the cl_seperation cvar (0.1 <-> 10.0)
> to change the way depth is rendered...

I was trying this. There is a problem. Separation for objects far away the
view point are shorter than objects nearer. This gives the impression of
that all the objects are out of the screen and not inside it.

Check the image I sent taken with a digital camera. In objects nearer the
oberver the separation is 0 just like a image drawn on the surface of the
screen (red and green are in the same place). In object that appear INSIDE
the screen (like it ware a window) the separation is bigger and bigger as
they are farder.

Check my sample at http://www.kastor.org.ar/~anv/3d1.jpg

For a good effect: red image must be always at the left. Farder objects
must have a bigger separation. 0 separation will give the effect of the
objetc is at the distance of the screen. You can place some objects nearer
than the screen (with red image at the right). But they must not be cut by
the border of the screen or the brain will detect the trick and will loss
the 3d senpsation. It is better to avoid it if you can.

--
Alejandro Néstor Vargas
Departamento de Desarrollo
e-mail: anv at xnetcuyo.com.ar