[quake2] More changes/comments

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Mon Mar 3 13:00:16 EST 2003

>diff -Naur

I did a cvs -q diff -NR -Naur and for some reason there are
duplicated ^Ms everywhere.  The patch is 116K ZIPped up.  Should I
just e-mail it to you directly?

I went a bit more nuts and started overhauling CTF while trying to
leave game/ alone as much as possible.

One of the uglier aspects of the game code (as opposed to the engine
code) is a complete and utter lack of consistency in naming
conventions for functions, so when tracing through code you have no
idea about the relative differences between, say:

FindItem()
M_DropToFloor()
monster_fire()
Weapon_Think()

I've tried to make those more consistent, and doing things like
making functions and data static that don't need to be referenced
outside a file, etc.

Pretty much all in the name of making the codebase easier to modify
and understand.

>q_shared.*:
>
>definitely ought to be merged.  I suspect that they're only
>different because someone took the code and went off hacking to
>create the CTF game.

Done.  I've downloaded and built CTF, works fine still, so don't
think I broke anything too major =)

>OS X: Someone out there has an OS X (Cocoa) port of Quake II, if you
>search on Google you'll find it, its distributed by Fruitz of the
>Dojo.

If this version continues to migrate, and especially if new mods are
made, it would be nice to have an OS X build.

>Just doing it: I'd be interested in seeing your patches one way or
>the other.  That way I can decide what to merge in and what to leave
>out.

No problems there.  Just let me know where to put the patch.  The
non-Win32 makefiles will have to be updated to reflect the change to
q_shared, but other than that I _think_ they still compile.

Brian