[quake2] Quake 2 segfault

Marco Nadal m_nadal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jul 1 03:25:57 EDT 2003

Pedro Almeida wrote:

> So ... does anyone have a clue about what that segfault's about? My
> system is similiar to the one Marco Nadal described:
> rh9, with a few non important updates, nvidia's official drivers for
> AsusGeforce256DDR
>
> Just trying to keep this alive <:P
>
> thank you for the attention

Thanks for that, Pedro.

<rant>
It's a shame running games under Linux is such a fucking mission -- it
will never be accepted on the desktop until that changes. I remember,
back in the late eightie's, PC's didn't become popular in the home until
they got some cool games -- the home market was dominated by Atari ST
and Amiga then. All you had to do then is insert the floppy disk and
turn on the machine. Now, on Linux, it's "search for correct RPM for
your distro build, find it isn't avaible, download source tarball,
extract, read INSTALL, attempt to compile, figure out missing
dependencies, download dependencies, install them, try again (rinse and
repeat a few times), finally compile, run it, it segfaults, spend next 3
months on mailing lists asking people for help...etc. etc."

This is supposed to be the OS that will safe the world from the
Microsoft monopoly? I don't think so. People often wonder how MS got so
big, given the lack of quality in their product. It's because the
alternatives are even worse.
</rant>

It doesn't have to stay that way, of course. One day, there'll be RPMs
that are install-click-on-icon-play. Until then, I'll just have to play
Quake2 in Windows.

Marco