enthusiasm and questions

Christopher Henderson christopher at acme-tech.org
Fri Jan 17 09:48:48 EST 2003

I'm extremely happy to have found http://icculus.org/quake2/ - a simple
installer for quake 2 for linux!  Kewlness!  I'm so very happy to see
such a thing that I'm willing to donate some money for the project.  Not
a lot, but at least what I'd spend on a boxed version.  This work needs
to be rewarded. :-)  Now - some questions - does this version support
OpenGL?  I know that the older one did - but I could never get it to
work.  I'm running Red Hat 8.0 with a Radion 8500 and ATI's official
drivers.  Unreal Tournament and other OpenGL games run dandy - but never
Quake 2.  Also, upon trying to run Quake 2 with your installer I get
this output - cut n paste from a terminal

[cjh at localhost cjh]$ quake2
Quake 2 -- Version 3.21+rCVS
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (1106 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/maxpak.pak (40 files)
using /home/cjh/.quake2/baseq2/ for writing
execing default.cfg
couldn't exec config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025
------------------------------------
LoadLibrary("./ref_softx.so")
Trying joystick dev /dev/js0
Error opening joystick dev /dev/js0
Trying joystick dev /dev/js1
Error opening joystick dev /dev/js1
Trying joystick dev /dev/js2
Error opening joystick dev /dev/js2
Trying joystick dev /dev/js3
Error opening joystick dev /dev/js3
Trying joystick dev /dev/jsfd
Error opening joystick dev /dev/jsfd
Trying joystick dev /dev/jsflash
Error opening joystick dev /dev/jsflash
setting mode 0: 320 240
808k surface cache
ref_soft version: SOFT 0.01
------------------------------------
CDAudio_Init: open of "/dev/cdrom" failed (2)
==== InitGame ====
------- Server Initialization -------
0 entities inhibited
0 teams with 0 entities
-------------------------------------
====== Quake2 Initialized ======

0.0.0.0:0: client_connect

Installation
models/objects/debris2/tXlib:  extension "XFree86-DGA" missing on
display ":0.0".
Failed to detect XF86DGA Mouse
/usr/local/bin/quake2: line 5:  4675 Segmentation fault
./quake2.x86 $*

It appears that the only problem is related to my mouse - any ideas how
to fix this?

Thnx for your help and for your time.

~Christopher