quake, MDK9, and Intel 810

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Sun Oct 13 13:42:23 EDT 2002

Hi,

quake2 and quake3 both run on my Intel810 based Mandrake 9.0 system, but
neither can play sound. The docs I've read say to try soundwrapper,
which
I have tried -- however, it makes no difference.

I've also tried using esd, which caused the game to fail completely
instead of just failing to play sound. soundwrapper + esd lets it play,
without sound.

devfs-based system, so permissions are okay:
[jack at chupacabra quake2]$ ls -l /dev/dsp
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root  9 Oct 13 08:02 /dev/dsp -> sound/dsp
[jack at chupacabra quake2]$ ls -l /dev/sound/dsp
crw-------    1 jack     audio     14,   3 Dec 31  1969 /dev/sound/dsp

quake3 says:
------- sound initialization -------
Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READ trying mmap PROT_WRITE
(with associated better compatibility / less performance code) /dev/dsp:
Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp
------------------------------------
Sound memory manager started

and quake2 says:
------- sound initialization -------
/dev/dsp: Input/output error
SNDDMA_Init: Could not mmap /dev/dsp. ...
0.0.0.0:0: client_connect

------- sound initialization -------
Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist
already defined Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined /dev/dsp: No
such file or directory
SNDDMA_Init: Could not mmap /dev/dsp.

------- sound initialization -------
Cmd_AddCommand: play already defined
Cmd_AddCommand: stopsound already defined Cmd_AddCommand: soundlist
already defined Cmd_AddCommand: soundinfo already defined /dev/dsp:
Success
SNDDMA_Init: Could not mmap /dev/dsp.

Any ideas??

Jack