[quake2] Re: Quake2 and SDL

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Nov 26 17:45:35 EST 2002

On Die, 2002-11-26 at 20:43, Mental Patient wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 13:27, Rene Koenig wrote:
> > Is it hard to change the code?
> > Its realy slow on a 1600x1200 screen with a 1024x768 quake in it. And always
> > changing the X config and restarting it realy sucks.
>
> I run X at 1600x1200. When I play quake at any res from 640x480 -
> 1280x1024, it plays full screen at that res. The VidMode extensions in X
> should allow you to change on the fly for apps like quake.
>
> If I recall, when I Load extmod, I dont omit xfree86-dga. This allows
> the resolution changes without restarting X. If your hardware supports
> DGA, enable it. You should be able to play any game full screen in any
> supported vidmode.

Why do you think this has anything to do with DGA when you correctly say
above that the VidMode extension does this?

The problem is probably too little video RAM for 3D acceleration with
the virtual resolution of 1600x1200, which remains constant over the
server's life. If you're already using depth 16, the only way I can
think of how you might be able to avoid restarting X is to run several
servers with different resolutions.