[quake2] Hello + Joystick!

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Mar 19 00:18:12 EST 2002

> That sounds really really cool- is this the one you have?
> http://store.arcadeheaven.com/psxn64usb.shtml
>
> If so (or if not :)) how well does it work? are there docs for getting it
> to work? Inquiring minds want to know!

I don't have a webbrowser handy, so I couldn't say, but I'm aware of a
converter that does Playstation and N64 controllers (which the URL
implies); this is not that converter.

Mine is the "Adaptoid" by Wish Technologies.

Getting it to work: have a kernel with USB support, plug in device.  :)

It makes the controller show up as a standard HID joystick device. Make
sure you've got the device nodes, though:

as root:
mkdir -p /dev/input
mknod /dev/input/js0 c 13 0
mknod /dev/input/event0 c 13 64

If you have "event subsystem support" (or whatever) compiled in...evdev.o,
SDL will use event0, otherwise it will use js0. If you built SDL on a box
with evdev enabled, it currently fails to find the /dev/input/js0 device,
even if it's there and working, but it will also fail to find
/dev/input/event0 if you don't have evdev.o inserted. This bit me until I
traced through the SDL source to figure out what happened. When I get time
to look at it more, I might patch that behaviour.

--ryan.