[quake2] Solaris

Vincent Cojot coyote at step.polymtl.ca
Tue Mar 12 08:12:21 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002 marc.poulhies at epfl.ch wrote:

> Hi !
> i'm back from holydays, and i can work again on the solaris thing.
> I received a mail from Vincent telling he's got some solaris stuff and that we
> should discuss about it here ;)
>
> As i'm new to solaris and only use it at school, i can't really say exactly
> what is my hardware, if you can tell me how to know ;)
> Here's what i can get:
>
> gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)
> SunOS in3sun45 5.8 Generic_108528-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-5_10
>

> the only way i had to know the name of the 3d card was to start quake2, but
> during the holydays, admin cleaned disks, i have to download again the 100Mb.
>
> The latest thing i did with quake2 is compiling the X11 and SDLGL drivers (no
> sound and no input (don't know why neither the keyb or mouse dont work...))
>
> marc

Hello Marc,

	Under Solaris, you can list the /dev/fbs directory to see what
video hardware you have.. for instance:

raistlin at panet-002:[/export/home/raistlin ]ls -l /dev/fbs
total 2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          47 Apr 12  2000 m640 ->
../../devices/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1,1/SUNW,m64B at 2:m640

This tells me I have an M64 card (in an Ultra5).. this, I can run
"m64config -prconf" to see what are my settings..

If you had a Creator 3D or Elite 3d card, you could run "ffbconfig
-prconf" or "afbconfig -prconf", respectively..

However, since you seem to have an Ultra5 or an Ultra10, it's quite
unlikely that you have the high-end graphics hardware needed to run quake2
in GL mode under Solaris.. We will have to ask people from SUN to test our
builds.. :)

Cheers,

Vincent