[quake2] Performance issue fixed, problem found

Steve paradox at enterprise.tanabi.org
Wed Jun 26 03:21:46 EDT 2002

> How much shared meme did you put in /etc/system? Btw, if you install SUN's
> gnome (1.4), it will modify /etc/system for you but I didn't know that
> this would make a diff for quake2...

	Well, typically I install postgres at some point on a Sun machine,
and it complains about not enough shared memory and then I fix it.
However, this particular machine is just my desktop at the moment, and I
hadn't had anything that errors due to low shared memory.  And since I
don't use gnome, well, nothing ever set it for me :-)

	I put these shared memory settings in:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256

set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32

	As for shared memory ... it probably doesn't help to have a *lot*
of shared memory, but I think if you don't have enough, it probably chokes
it a bit.  The default Sun level of shared memory probably was
bottlenecking it somewhat.  Dunno why they default it so low :-)

> I will try to see if I can reproduce that.. One sure thing is: I think to
> remember that something about key presses like this was fixed in the Linux
> source but I haven't (yet) looked into it and ported it to the Solaris
> source.... Was in rw_x11.c, I think...

	Well, let me know if you need help testing or anything, and I'll
give it a shot >:-)

Steve