[quake2] Performance issue fixed, problem found

Vincent Cojot coyote at step.polymtl.ca
Wed Jun 26 01:10:39 EDT 2002

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Steve wrote:

> Hey guys;
>
> First off, I found out one reason I was getting disappointing performance
> on the Sun Ultra60 with Elite3D -- Shared memory set too low.  It was also
> why Netscape was slow as hell.  Couldn't figure it out for the longest
> time.

How much shared meme did you put in /etc/system? Btw, if you install SUN's
gnome (1.4), it will modify /etc/system for you but I didn't know that
this would make a diff for quake2...

> Also, something I noticed; at the first level, I push the button to go
> down the elevator.  But for some reason, QuakeII doesn't register the key
> release during the load, and I go *RUNNING* out of the elevator.  I then
> promptly die as I'm in the middle of a cluster of machine gunners with no
> cover.
>
> This has happened every time I've played with the sdlquake2 binary.  If I
> tap the key (to send another release event) it stops me from runnig and
> the game works correctly, but still it would be nice if I didn't have to
> remember to do that ;-)  Anyone else have this problem?

I will try to see if I can reproduce that.. One sure thing is: I think to
remember that something about key presses like this was fixed in the Linux
source but I haven't (yet) looked into it and ported it to the Solaris
source.... Was in rw_x11.c, I think...

Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'
http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ coyote at step.polymtl.ca

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost