Mouse problems

Pat Cevasco pcevasco at mediaone.net
Sun Jan 13 15:20:06 EST 2002

My setup is the following:

Debian Woody
Linux kernel 2.4.12-1
XFree86 4.1.0-6
Enlightenment 16.5-6
nVidia GeForce2 Pro
MS USB Intellimouse
MS Internet Keyboard Pro ( with builtin USB hub )

I compiled and installed quake2-r0.0.8.tar.gz according to the
instructions (I've tested both "make build_debug" and "make
build_release").  Everything seems to compile fine.

The game seems to load fine (it's not full screen) and initially
the mouse is not grabbed.  I can map Mouse1 and Mouse2 to
specific actions ( i.e. fire weapon ) so I know at this point
that mouse clicks are being picked up.

When I start a game (software renderer), the mouse is grabbed but
now the mouse does not work at all.  Neither mouse clicks nor
movement seems to get picked up.  Keyboard functions work.  Also,
the player's hand and weapon are not visible.

I've tried this with the mouse plugged in the keyboard hub and
directly into the PC.

I believe the mouse is configured correctly because it works with
Enlightenment/KDE/twm and I've played both Soldier of Fortune and
Rune ( the Loki ports ) with no problem.

The mouse section of my XF86Config file looks like:

--------------------------------
Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier  "Intellimouse"
     Driver      "mouse"
     Option "Protocol"        "IMPS/2"
     Option "Device"          "/dev/usbmouse"
     Option "CorePointer"
     Option "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
EndSection

And /dev/mouse is a symbolic link to /dev/usbmouse

Any ideas as to what I can try next?

Thanks,

Pat