eliminating warnings

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Wed Jan 2 16:49:34 EST 2002

> Is it a good idea to make changes to the game and ctf code?  I suppose
> just fixing warnings and minor bugs is perfectly fine, as long as gameplay
> or the ABI isn't affected.  Comments?

Depends on what your goal is.

If you just want a better-working Quake2 client, then be careful what you
touch, and just stick to polishing the SDL code, added the WORLD keys,
etc. If nothing else, that means that this codebase will be a better
springboard than the original 3.21 code for unusual projects to fork from.
And honestly, I'd rather have a clean-compiling codebase with good SDL
support behind the million Quake2 projects than have to hack this stuff in
later (reference the million DOOM projects out there). In short, if
nothing else, this project can always be simply a de facto standard for
starting other projects.

In many ways, it appears to already BE the de facto standard codebase.
"Relnev's Quake2" is becoming a household word on some message boards.

Alternately, if you've got a cool idea, maybe it should be implemented.
The problem is that "cool ideas" in the Doom era were to add features we
take for granted in Quake 1 (like looking up and down and a GL renderer),
and "cool ideas" in the Quake 1 era were to merge Quake and QuakeWorld.
What IS there to do with Quake 2?

Fixing compiler warnings is a good idea either way, however, as is working
on things like the WORLD keys.

Enough rambling.  :)

--ryan.