Choppy Sound; 0.15 binaries; Suse 8.1

Olaf Müller-Michaels Olaf.Mueller-Michaels at t-online.de
Thu Dec 26 07:26:04 EST 2002

I am new to this list. so sorry if the question has already been answered; I
could not manage to find an archive.

I have installed Quake2 (full) with the binary installer from the website.
Video works fine (glx) with my nvidia GeForce 2TI.

But the sound is delayed, broken and choppy.

I am using Suse 8.1, alsa 0.9 RC6 and have the following onboard sound
Hardware:
"Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio (rev 04)",
using the intel8x0 driver.

The console shows the following:

"olaf at linux:~> quake2
Quake 2 -- Version 3.21+rCVS
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak1.pak (279 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
Added packfile ./baseq2/maxpak.pak (40 files)
using /home/olaf/.quake2/baseq2/ for writing
execing default.cfg
execing config.cfg
Console initialized.

------- sound initialization -------
sound sampling rate: 11025"

Btw, I had the same problem with quakeforge; I solved it by explicitly using
the alsa0_9 output option, instead of OSS. Is there a way to tell Quake2 to
use alsa instead of OSS or another solution to my problem?

Olaf