[q2x] OT: Lua questions

Nick Trout nick at rockstarvancouver.com
Mon Feb 9 13:45:52 EST 2004

> From: Dan Olson [mailto:theoddone33 at icculus.org]
> I bet O'Reilly's arm wouldn't have to be twisted much to publish an
> "Algorithms in Lua" book, or something similar.
>
> A book on just the C API would seem a little thin to me.

Actually, I dispute that! When you get into the more complex aspects of
Lua, binding and the API there is plenty of room for discussion. E.g.
strategies for binding, efficiency etc. This hasn't been covered in any
books I've read and is more applicable to games. I don't think most game
are (or should) be writing huge amount of algorithmic code in Lua.

I quite like doing research, and I'd see this as a research project, I
really couldn't see it being a cash cow. I think I'd have to be careful,
having a conflict of interests with work. Not that I'd ever release any
information about what we're doing, but that time and effort are
conflicted. I've done the wiki docs and q2x work in hobby time though.

Nick